Whatever brought you to the blog – whether you are hoping to lose weight, gain energy, upgrade your brain, hack your food cravings, or just feel great all the time – welcome!
The Bulletproof blog has been around for a few years now. All the information can be overwhelming to a newcomer, so we’ve collected some posts that are especially helpful when you’re starting to go Bulletproof.
Bulletproof for Beginners Overview
Remember: the Bulletproof Diet Roadmap (download it here for free) is a spectrum from green to yellow to red, so you should eat foods in the green zone as much of the time as possible:
- Green – Bulletproof foods (eat a lot of these!)
- Yellow – suspect foods (Be cautious about these. See how they make you feel)
- Red – kryptonite foods (to avoid)
Foods are on a spectrum: some are better than others, but small steps toward improving your diet, sleep, and life are always better than nothing. Even if you don’t plan to go Bulletproof all at once, taking it one step at a time is a great way to go – the more you do, the better you’ll feel!
14 Steps To Eating The Bulletproof Diet
1. Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks that contain HFCS, honey, and agave) .
3. Eliminate gluten in any shape or form. This includes bread, cereal, and pasta. Do not make the mistake of resorting to gluten free junk food, which can be almost as bad.
4. Remove grains, grain derived oils, and vegetable oils such as corn, soy, and canola. Also remove unstable polyunsaturated oils such as walnut, flax, and peanut oil.
5. Eliminate all synthetic additives, colorings, and flavorings. This includes aspartame, MSG, dyes, and artificial flavorings.
6. Eat significant amounts of pastured, grass-fed meat from big ruminant animals such as beef, lamb, and bison. Pair this with fish, eggs, and shellfish.
7. Eliminate legumes such as peanuts, beans, and lentils. If you must have your beans, soak, sprout (or ferment), and cook them.
8. Remove all processed, homogenized, and pasteurized dairy. High fat items can be pasteurized, but they should be grass-fed. Full fat, raw, whole dairy from grass-fed cows is okay for most people.
9. Switch to grass-fed meat and wild caught seafood. Eat pastured eggs and some pork, chickens, turkeys, and ducks.
10. Switch to organic fruits and vegetables. This is more important for some plants than others. See this site for details.
11. Cook your food gently, if at all. Incorporate water into your cooking whenever possible and use low temperatures. Do not use a microwave or fry.
12. Limit fruit consumption to 1-2 servings per day. Favor low fructose containing fruits like berries and lemons over watermelon and apples.
13. Add spices and other flavorings from the Bulletproof Diet. Favor herb based spices such as thyme and rosemary over powders. Use high quality ones, recently opened.
14. Enjoy your food.